Monday, April 30, 2012

Update from the Query Trenches



So as y'all know, I'm in the process of querying my 2nd novel, LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE. When I first started, I was terrified that I wouldn't get a single request on it, and for a while there, it looked like my nightmare might come true.

To date, my request rate has far exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped me from mourning this project, even with several requests still in play.

Here are my current stats from January - Present:

Total Queries Sent: 58
Total Queries Rejected: 33
Total Unanwered: 19
Total Requests: 9 - (4 partials, 5 fulls)
Total Queries That Were Rejected Once, Then Revised and Turned into a Request: 2
Requests Resulting Directly From Contests: 3
Total Requests Rejected So Far: 3

On paper, these numbers look decent. However, I can't seem to muster a shred of confidence that even one will result in an offer. (Read: I'm a mess)

We all know how astronomical the odds are, and I'm convinced that in a few months I'll be writing a post entitled "Why Request Rate Means Nothing: Rejection in Mass Quantities." (Yes, even after my last post)

So in the mean time, I'm trying to take my mind off things by diligently (well, as diligently as a slow writer such as myself can) working on WiP #3 and counting down the days to Best Vacation Ever: The Sequel, where I will be gloriously unable to check my e-mail every five minutes for an entire week. Because Tom Petty (and me) was not kidding when he said the waiting is the hardest part.

How are the query trenches treating you, peeps? And what do you do to keep your mind off pending submission responses?

5 comments:

  1. (((hugs))))

    I could have written this post. I have about the same number of requests, but have sent twice as many queries.

    I dusted off a spot in the drawer for this manuscript over the weekend. May mine rest in peace, and long live MS #3.

    You, on the other hand? When your agent finally signs MS #2, she'll be SO PSYCHED that you have a third one almost finished. GO GINA GO!!!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, send *hugs!*

    Querying is a soul-killer and no doubt about it. And no matter how many times you've heard it and how firmly you believe it's a cliche, the fact is true: It only takes 1 yes. :D

    While querying, I kept myself sane by working on another book, refining my query, and tweaking the ms I was querying. Seriously. I kept tweaking the first chapter and especially the first page, and I also had a brilliant idea to switch something in the rising action about a month before sending out the query that won me an agent. Who knows? She might not have liked the story so much if it hadn't been the last minute brilliant idea.

    Now, submission was worse. Because while my books were on submission, I couldn't tweak them any more. Talk about nerve-wracking ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I am not looking forward to jumping back into the query trenches. It's so hard to stay positive when all you're getting is negatives. The only thing to keep you sane IS the next MS and moving forward. Otherwise it's SO easy to get stuck there in that mess of pain and frustration.

    So YAY for next books!

    And even better, Yay for vacations. I am SO jealous I can't stand it. At least I'll be there in spirit if your bring TB along :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you & Leigh Ann totally inspire me. if I was half as strong as you two, I'd have this damn book finished and in the query trenches, too <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing. It's helpful to know that other writers are going through the same things. I'm in The Writers Voice and found you through the hashtag on Twitter. I have 1 full and 1 partial out now, and I haven't wanted to send any more queries until I get some feedback. I feel like I'm stalking my own inbox!

    ReplyDelete