Monday, November 21, 2011

Being Thankful for the Little Things: An Anti-Bad Attitude Post

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I wanted to give props to the things I'm thankful for. As aspiring writers, it can seem like the whole world is against us and that we'll never stand a chance to make it in the publishing biz.

Some days, I think that would be the worst thing ever.

Other days, I don't have my head up my butt.

So here goes. I am thankful for:

1) Loving reading and writing.
I will never understand people who don't enjoy reading. To me there is nothing better than getting lost in another world, another life, another person's journey. Or weaving an entire story from thin air and then looking back at it and having an I have made fire! moment.

2) The people I've met through blogging.
My crit partners are the bomb diggity, and they're not just crit partners, but friends. No one else in the world would compare getting a phone call from me to getting a phone call from a celebrity (love you, Leigh Ann), because no one else thinks I'm anywhere near that level of awesome :)

3) Agents who remember authors are only human
Twitter can be a gift or a curse. It's very discouraging to see agents put their queriers on blast for making mistakes, or writing something they think is cliche, or for not reading their minds about personal preferences that aren't mentioned in their submission guidelines. Other agents? They get it. And for those agents, I am truly grateful.

And now, some non-writing related gratitude.

I am thankful for:

~ My husband, who didn't laugh at me when I told him I was writing a book. And who has no problem with Public Displays of Affection.



~ Taking the best vacation ever this June. I feel mellower just thinking about it. Though, not gonna lie, I'd rather relive it for real than in my head!



~ My nephews and niece, whose adorable faces never fail to put a smile on mine


And last - my family. I could go on forever about all the things that make them the awesomest, but you'll just have to take my word for it :)


So tell me, peeps. What are you thankful for this holiday season?

8 comments:

  1. Aw! *sniff*
    (OKAY BUT SERIOUSLY I'M STILL FREAKING OUT ABOUT TALKING TO YOU.)

    Also: I can confidently say that this is the ONLY time I've ever been referred to as "the bomb diggity." Even as part of a class.

    Love you back. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the writing realm, I'm thankful for my awesome agent (I still can't believe she loves my work), my fabulous critique partners, and a family that supports my writing. In the non-writing realm, I'm still grateful for my family -- they're healthy, loving, and forgive all my faults. And I'm grateful for my dog, who doesn't know I have any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely thankful for agents who list more information on their websites than: looking for YA novels. Can you be a little more specific please? If I have to take 5 + minutes researching you and sending you a querying, can you at least tell me a little more what you're looking for. That will save us both time.

    Great list. I'm thankful for my amazing CP, my writing friends (because they get it), and my husband and kids. They are super supportive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that pic of you and your husband is too cute! And your nephews and niece are adorable. Love that you have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are so wonderful. I'm particularly thankful this year for the continued good health of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thanking for the entire online writing community I've found, because without everybody I've met, I wouldn't be writing right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thankful for your list of thankful things, too (though obviously not for YOUR husband and YOUR family, but for my own - lol!). And for this blogging community. It is truly an amazing, inspiring place.

    I like your comment about agents on twitter. It made me laugh out loud. :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving day ... and enjoy your vacation in June!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to wherever you went on vacation.

    And those nephews and niece of yours are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete